Saturday, August 22, 2009

Delicious.

Today was my first foray to the local Farmers' Market. At seven thirty this morning. It. Was.Wonderful

Seven-thirty was completely worth it. I was one of the first people there. I wish I had brought my camera! It was colorful, well organized, beautiful, and all the offerings were spectacular. 

There are about fifteen or so vendors, but each of them offer a staggering array of items. I stopped at a bakery stand, and found that it is the baker whose bread I buy at the food co-op! I purchased a few orange-chocolate-pecan scones for breakfast tomorrow. I skipped the Amish pies, local honey, cut flowers and homemade jams. A girl needs to stick to her budget, right? But I hit the jackpot when it came to produce! The haul included:
  • 2 zucchini
  • 2 yellow squash
  • about two pounds of patty pan and other squashes
  • a japanese zucchini
  • 3 small heirloom eggplants
  • a pint of blackberries
  • a large bundle of basil
  • a pint of heirloom grape-sized tomatoes
  • a pound of heirloom tomatoes
  • half a pound of spinach
  • half a pound of green beans
I also discovered a fruit heretofore unknown by me... the ground cherry!

 It looks a little like a super tiny tomatillo. It's yellow, sweet and just lovely. 


I rounded out my groceries with some cereal, yogurt, bulk almond dish soap, crackers, bananas, bulk vegetable farfalle, and bulk hummus mix. I did all our shopping for less than fifty bucks! And we will be good for at least a week... until the next Farmers' Market!

No comments:

Post a Comment